Saturday, August 3, 2013

Lego Crayons!

At the beginning of summer I ordered a couple of Lego molds off ebay that are made to use with heat (they'll probably say something about chocolate making) and found a pile of old crayons (the large ones, with 24 of each color) looking for a new purpose in life. I gave them one!



First, I sorted my crayons by color, then chopped them up into tiny pieces (you can use a knife to make big chunks for large molds, a cheese grater to make tiny pieces-but that didn't work well for me, or a food chopper like mine from Pampered Chef.)


I put some of the pieces into my lego block mold, and the rest went into a double-boiler to melt. I wanted melted wax to pour into the lego-men, since they have so many small pieces. After my first batch, I realized the chopped up pieces left too many air bubbles in their little heads and arms.


I cooked the block molds (on an old pan) for 30 minutes at 250 degrees. The double-boiler took about 10 minutes to melt the wax. I stirred it occasionally with a straw, then pour into molds!


Then I had to let them cool. I set them out for about 30 minutes, then once firm I put them in the freezer to hurry along. The whole process would be MUCH easier if I had more molds. If you plan on making a lot of different colors, I would recommend buying multiple.

Lastly, I carefully popped them out of the molds (oh how I love silicone molds!) and poof! I'm done. A few of my reds didn't turn out well (they didn't cool long enough) so that parts definitely necessary.








 I'm still finishing up the orange ones... Did I mention it takes HOURS to do this!? Waiting for them to cool is SO HARD! :-)






0 comments:

Post a Comment