Monday, July 28, 2014

Spelling Homework Ideas

One of my best sellers on Teachers Pay Teachers is the set of 6 Spelling Tic-Tac-Toe boards to help Spelling homework run a little more smoothly. My students used to have a notebook where they completed the same four activities every.single.week. and the kids complained, parents complained, I complained... it was all a lot of work! But the teacher in me knows that practice does make progress (maybe even perfect sometimes, in the world of spelling?) and kids NEED to learn those pesky words! What's a girl to do!? 

So the tic-tac-toe board came along and was a HUGE SUCCESS. My kids get the board on Friday and have until the next Friday (test day) to write their words 3 times each and complete 3 of the activities on the board. My kids have to do them in order (hence the tic-tac-toe) but for a kiddo that's really really struggling, any 3 might do! If I notice a pattern of a student not completing the ABC order then I might require that one sometimes. It's on all of the boards because it's so important to learn.

Today I want to show you some of the boards in action.


Here are the words written in taco seasoning before dinner one night! 

And another written with spaghetti noodles!

This parent wrote the words on popsicle sticks for an easy word sort for a kiddo!

Here one of my boys wrote his spelling words in shaving cream!


In a variation of this, a student wrote his words using shaving cream (His mom was like, "This took almost 2 cans! We aren't doing this again" and then when I explained how it's usually done she was SUPER embarrassed... in a really really funny kind of way!)

And here a student typed her words 3 times each and e-mailed them to me. She was so excited about getting to use her mom's e-mail!

If you haven't checked out my Tic-Tac-Toe Boards head over to TpT and be inspired!




0 comments:

Post a Comment